Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Yesterday's excitement

Big fevers and sickies just weren't excitement enough for us around here yesterday. Maison's little tiny body decided to go from 103 to 106 degrees suddenly and sent him into a febrile seizure. I was sitting next to him when it happened, he was laying on the couch watching tv, as he had been most of the day, when he cried out and I looked over to see his eyes roll back. We called 911, and the operator assured me that it was common in young children and isn't usually serious. He told me to take off all of his clothes and lay him on the floor and just let the seizure finish. The paramedics arrived soon after he had stopped convulsing and they took him and me to the hospital to have him looked at. They found an ear infection, which they say caused the fever. We all have fevers, and we don't all have ear infections, but it's probably why his got so bad.

I took this picture at the hospital when he finally got to sleep for a little bit. He was so worn out from being sick and from the seizure and every time he finally stopped crying and fell asleep, someone else would come in to mess with him.


He started to feel better once we left the hospital and his fever seemed to be in better control. I gave him medicine throughout the night and he was so tuckered out that he mostly slept right through everything.

On a lighter note, Madeline's big dilemma of the day was that her ice cream was so cold that it hurt her leg to eat it. And she was upset that I couldn't warm it up.

Today we're all still on the mend. Lots of resting. Maison was definitely feistier today, which is a good sign. Still nobody ate much. Madeline slept on the couch a bit and she's the one with the most fever still lingering. Her cheekies are all pink and her eyelids swollen. She looks so sweet. I'm debating on taking her to the doctor. I'm always afraid of catching other germs while we're there.


5 comments:

jamie carter said...

how scary is that. poor little guy.
i'm glad everything is alright and hope you are all feeling better very soon.

Maryann said...

Bless their little hearts! Hope they feel better soon. So happy to hear the siezure wasn't anything serious!

Angela said...

OMG! I am glad he is feeling better and the fever is under control. How scary! Good thing you were right there. I can't even imagine how scary that must have been for you to watch. So so sorry. Hugs.
BTW-love Madeline's jammies.=)

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your little guy. That is so so scary. Glad to hear everyone is doing well.

Lesley Barr Photography said...

Oh my heavens. I am so sorry for little Mason (and the rest of you). I am so glad he is ok and on the mend. I hope you all get better soon.